Top food blogs

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Gluten-free Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Pie

Sunday was yet another rainy day, but since we had been out Friday evening and all day Saturday, I was kind of excited to just lay low at home.  So I got this crazy idea to make a pie for Father's day.  I had never attempted to make pie crust, let alone a gluten-free version.   I had recently been eyeing a Strawberry Rhubarb recipe I had seen on the Living Without site, so this was a great opportunity to give it a try.  Of course, I was missing a lot of the ingredients, but I was able to substitute and even made my own millet flour (recipe below).  The result ended up being more crumbly than I had hoped for, but it was nonetheless decadent and worthy of a special occasion such as Father's day!
 



You can chose to simple leave it this way, and freeze the second
crust for another occasion
 
 


  
Ingredients:
 
1 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
1/4 cup gluten-free flour blend of choice (I used the same mix as the one I used for the pie crusts flour blend)
1 tsp. cinnamon
6 cups chopped fresh rhubarb (7 to 8 stalks cut into
    ½-inch pieces)
1 pound fresh strawberries, stemmed, cored and sliced in half
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. coconut oil
2 pie crusts, * one partially baked
 
*Here is what I used as a GF multi-blend flour mix: (most are substitutes to what the recipe called for.  I substituted 1 : 1)
 
2 1/4 cups millet flour (substitute for brown rice flour) see millet flour recipe below
1/4 corn starch ( substitute for potato starch)
2/3 cup tapioca starch
3/4 cup almond flour (substitute for sweet rice flout)
1/3 cup cornstarch
 
 
Method:
 
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Combine sugar, flour blend and cinnamon in a small bowl.
3. Place prepared fruit in a large bowl. Sprinkle lemon juice over fruit. Then gently toss fruit with sugar mixture to evenly coat.
4. Mound fruit into partially baked bottom crust. Drizzle butter over fruit.
5. Top filling with pie crust and crimp edges to seal.
6. Brush top crust with egg wash. Or brush with high-protein milk of choice and sprinkle with sugar.
7. Bake pie in preheated oven for one hour or until fruit is tender and crust is golden brown. If pie needs to bake longer, cover it lightly with foil to prevent over-browning.
 
Millet flour recipe:
 
Roast hulled millet in a pan.  When you start to hear it pop, remove it from the burner and let it cool for a few minutes.  Transfer to a blender and bring to a flour (it took less than 2 minutes before I had an even texture).  Make a large quantity to make sure you have enough.  I used approximately 4-5 cups of hulled millet and used almost all of it for the pie).


Have a great day and don't forget to like my page on Facebook and to follow me on Instagram, twitter (@aavoine) and pinterest!  If you like this blog, please subscribe to it's RSS Feed or via email!

Thanks for reading!
Amélie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment