Top food blogs

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Gluten-free Carrot Date Muffins

My kids are super fussy when it comes to food.  They are turned off by the slightest variation to what they consider edible.  If it looks healthy or good for them, you can be sure they won't dare approach it with a 10 foot pole.  So when choosing a healthy breakfast that will be satisfying enough to keep them going until their mid-morning snack, muffins are key.  But my little ones are also quite picky when it comes to what's in the muffins.  I am always trying new recipes, but so far, I have not been very successful.   I have tried a variety of flavors to no avail.  So when I came across this recipe on the Whole Foods Market website, I was positive it would be a hit.  I even made sure all the ingredients were pureed enough to avoid detection, but it failed again.  Although I have to admit that I was not too disappointed, since I thought they were super delicious.  So I froze them so we can take them along on our upcoming vacation.  We will in the car for 2 days, so having healthy muffins on-hand for breakfast will be a good alternative to sugary offerings in most roadside hotels.  And until I can find another muffin recipe they like, I will keep on making their favorite Gluten-free Banana Chocolate Chip muffins.


 
Gluten-free Carrot Date Muffins
 
2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 cup chopped pitted dates     
1/2 cup chopped walnuts      
1/4 cup melted virgin coconut or high-heat sunflower oil     
2 free range eggs, lightly beaten     
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup     
3/4 cup amaranth flour or millet flour     
3/4 cup ground almond flour     
2 teaspoons baking powder     
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon     
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg     
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
 
Method
 
Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or oil with natural cooking spray and set aside. Preheat oven to 375°F. Place carrots and dates in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse and then blend until finely chopped. Add walnuts and pulse to finely chop. Transfer to a bowl; add oil, eggs and maple syrup, stir to combine completely. In a separate bowl, combine all remaining dry ingredients. Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
 
Have a great day and don't forget to like my page on Facebook.  You can also follow me on Instagram, twitter (@aavoine) and pinterest!  If you like this blog, please subscribe to it's RSS Feed or via email!

Thanks for reading!
Amélie

No comments:

Post a Comment