Top food blogs

Monday, January 6, 2014

Steamed endamames

The most common question that I am asked when I tell people that I eat a plant-based diet is "Where do you get your protein?"  Well, the choice is quite varied.  The most common ones being legumes, nuts and seeds and soy products.  Most people think that I have simply replaced my meat with soy based products (tofu based "chicken" and other processed products).  The thing is I try to stay away from most soy based products (see why here), as well as from most processed foods, but when I am in a rush and do not feel like making the most elaborate meal, I enjoy endamames.  For those unfamiliar with these, they are immature soybeans in their pods mostly found in Chinese, Japanese and Hawaiian cuisine.  Around here, they are mostly found in the frozen food section of most grocery stores.  Did you know that a simple 1/2 cup of endamames will give you 11g protein and 4g protein? So next time you are considering a not so healthy fast food option, reach for these and some veggies instead!



Steamed endamames

Ingredients

1/2 cup endamames
1 tsp. coconut oil
pinch of pink Himalayan salt

Method

Steam the endamames over boiling water for approximately 10 minutes.  Season with coconut oil and salt and serve and enjoy!

Thanks for reading!
Amelie 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment