Top food blogs

Friday, May 17, 2013

Vegetarian Burger

The warmer weather  is coming back, and in our house, it used to mean hamburger season.  Friday evenings we would always fire up the grill and eat burgers by the pool and the kids loved it.  While the kids and my husband still enjoy this once in a while, I have substituted my hamburger for a salad for lack of a good vegetarian recipe.  I have tried many recipes, but they are always crumbly and disappointing,  and I don't care much for the store-bought ones.  Not ready to give up on my quest, I went through some old cookbooks and stumbled upon this "crumbly but yummy" recipe that I used to make quite a few years ago.  It is from a Mincavi cookbook (a weight watchers-like diet that I followed to loose some weight after I had my daughter).  Although, like most vegetarian burgers it is not a perfect match to the regular hamburgers, it is still perfect for those poolside Friday nights!
 
Vegetarian Burger

 
Ingredients
 
1/2 onion chopped
1 medium zucchini chopped
1/4 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tbsp. ground cilantro
1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
1 1/2 cans chick peas
2 organic free-range eggs
Sea salt and pepper to taste
 
Method
 
Place onions, zucchini, breadcrumbs, lemon juice, garlic and herbs in a bowl and mix.  Add salt and pepper.
 
In a food processor, puree the chick peas and the eggs.  Add to the breadcrumb mixture.
 
Make your patties and cook on high heat in a pan (stovetop) for a few minutes on each side.  Reduce heat and cook for another 2 minutes. 
 
Serve on a gluten-free hamburger bun with your favorite condiments and enjoy!
 
 Have a great week-end!
Amelie
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment