Top food blogs

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Gluten and dairy-free Chocolate Cupcake recipe

On Sunday we hosted my daughter's 8th birthday party with her friends.  She had been looking forward to it for quite a while - she always starts planning her party in July of the year before!  I usually make cupcakes because it is simpler when you have a bunch of hungry kids all fighting to get the first piece.  And I always put a candle on each cupcake to avoid any arguments over who gets to lick the candles.  Her flavor of choice is always chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.  She doesn't like candy, but her taste for chocolate over compensates for it! 
 
My inspiration for this recipe comes the Black Magic Cake recipe on Allrecipes.  I have been making this cake for the kids birthdays for the past few years (it is the most unbelievable chocolate cake I have ever tasted!), but it was my first time attempting a gluten-free version of it.  It didn't work so well because I substituted the 2 eggs for 2/3 cup of applesauce (I didn't have any egg replacer, nor did I have eggs so I was stuck).  In some recipes it works out fine, but definitely not here.  Although they still tasted wonderful!  I would still recommend you buy egg replacer or you make your own, as suggested here.  I will surely be giving it a try the next time I am baking!  
 
Gluten and dairy-free Chocolate Cupcakes

 

 
Ingredients
 
1 3/4 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
1 3/8 tsp. xanthan gum (only if your gluten-free all purpose flour does not contain some)
2 cups white sugar ( I rarely use white sugar, but birthday cakes are an exception)
3/4 cup pure cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup strong brewed coffee at room temperature
1 cup almond milk
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 sunflower oil
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
 
Method
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease muffin tins and set aside.
 
In a measuring cup, pour almond milk.  Add 1 tbsp. lemon juice and wait 10 minutes.  (This is a homemade buttermilk recipe and adds a lot of taste to the cake.
 
In a large bowl, combine flour, xanthan gum, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Make a well in the center.
 
Add egg replacers, coffee, buttermilk, sunflower oil and vanilla extract.  Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.  The batter will be quite watery, don't worry, it's normal.  Pour into the prepared pans.
 
Bake for 35 minutes or until a fork inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool completely before frosting.
 
 
 Have a great day!
Amelie
 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment