Top food blogs

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

All is fine and Dandelion! What?

On Monday's post, I mentioned that using dandelion greens in smoothies was good.  When my husband came home that night, he said to me : "So we pay to get a company to get us rid of dandelions on our grass (in an eco- friendly way, of course!) and then you go to the grocery store and buy some dandelion greens to put in your smoothies?  Seriously?"  I laughed, but knowing him, I am pretty sure he was dead serious.  As serious as I am about using dandelion greens in my smoothies.  But be careful before going around your neighborhood picking them, as there are a few things you need to know :
 
  • They are best in the spring when the yellow flower has not yet developed
  • Make sure that you are picking greens that have not been treated with weed killer or fungicide
  • After picking them, wash carefully and store in the refrigerator, in a plastic bag, for up to 3 days
 
Did you also know that 1 cup of raw chopped dandelion greens contains 112% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin A and 32% of your vitamin C.  Also, ounce to ounce, it contains more calcium than milk.  So it is a great addition to any dairy-free diet.    It can be served raw in salads and smoothies, but it can also be steamed and served as a side.   

I have to admit that the following recipe surprised me.  I don't know if you've ever tasted dandelion greens, but they are quite bitter.  So being used to somewhat sweet green smoothies, I wasn't expecting to be won over.  But as soon as I took my first sip, I was sold.  It almost tasted like lemonade.  So much so, that it will definitely be accompanying many of my afternoons lounging by the pool watching my kids!


Dandelion Apple smoothie
source: Best of Raw Food

 
 

Ingredients

1 banana
1 apple
1/2 lemon peeled
2 cups dandelion greens
2 tsp. flax seed
water to cover all ingredients (approximately 2 cups)
4 ice cubes

Method

Place all ingredients in a high-power blender and mix until you get a smooth texture.  Enjoy!

Have a great day!
Amelie


Sources:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4510889_eat-dandelion-greens.html

http://www.dietobio.com/aliments/en/dandelion.html

http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/green-smoothie-recipe-2.html
 

No comments:

Post a Comment