Top food blogs

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The road to health is paved with green!

 
The road to health is paved with green!  At least that is what I seem to be experiencing.  Ever since switching to a whole foods plant-based diet, I have been feeling wonderful!  I don't like to call myself Nutritarian or Vegan because I eat for health, not for any doctrine.   On top of eating a plant-based diet, I am also mostly dairy and gluten-free.    I am a stay-at-home mom with Chiari Malformation type 1.  I have two kids :  Mackenzie (5 yrs old) and Alexa (8 yrs old). My husband and kids eat mostly like me, although they will eat meat, gluten and dairy on a more regular basis.  This is our journey to health.
 
So I have been looking for new ways to get my kids to eat more vegetables and this is no easy quest.  They are picky and less than willing to try new things.  And since they dislike most cooked vegetables and eat only small quantities when given crudités, soups and well hidden and blended versions usually work best.  While searching for raw recipes, I happened on the Rawtarian app for Iphone last week-end... I have tried two raw soups, so far without much enthusiasm from the little ones.  But the adults are completely in love.  What sold me the most on raw recipes is the fact that your food doesn't loose any nutrients, there is usually a minimal amount of preparation and it creates less dishes, that's a great trio right there!
 
Here is the recipe for the Raw "cream" of celery soup that can also be found on The Rawtarian website.  I had it as a side at lunch and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Although I prefer her red pepper version, the celery soup will be on rotation in the next few weeks!
 
 

1 1/2 cup of roughly chopped celery (reserve 1/2 cup for garnish)
1/4 cup cashews
1/2 garlic clove
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp celtic salt (I used sea salt)

1. Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender.

2. Start blending on low and work your way to high speed.  Blend for a few minutes to get rid of any stringiness and so the speed from your blender warms up to soup nicely.

3. Place the reserved celery in a bowl and pour the soup mixture on top.  Mix with a spoon and enjoy!

This makes 1 big portion.

Have a great day!













 

No comments:

Post a Comment