Top food blogs

Friday, April 12, 2013

Healthy snacks, great company!

Since switching to a whole food approach, a lot of people ask me what I do when I have company over.  To be honest, most seem to think that eating this way is not suitable for everyone.  But I like to show them that it is not only suitable, but actually great tasting.  So I make a lot of fun things to snack on and show them that it's possible to eat what the mass considers "regular meals", but with a twist.  I recently made stuffed peppers, but switched the meat for cashews.  I make spaghetti, but I use quinoa and amaranth pasta instead of regular and add nutritional yeast to my sauce so that we get a protein.  And I make sure to include greens in every recipe (either in regular form or hidden in some sort of puree so that my kids can't detect it!  Thank heaven for blenders!)

I rarely snack between meals, since snacking prevents your body and digestive system from resting and recovering.  But I make an exception when we have company.  In those occasions I go all out with dips and chutneys, along with my favorite gluten-free crackers and vegetables.  And since we are having company for dinner tonight, I figured I would share two of my favorite recipes!

  

 
Ingredients :
 
1 cup fresh dates, pitted
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsps. regular of toasted sesame oil
1/4 inch fresh ginger root, shredded
1 garlic clove
1 hot pepper (optional, I never include it in the recipe)
 
Place all the ingredients in the blender and either use the automatic puree setting or pulse 10-12 times - depending on the type of texture your like.   I pulse mine because I like a chunkier texture.
 
Yields 4 portions
 
 

 
 
1 tbsp. agave nectar (can be substituted with maple syrup or honey for non vegans)
2 tbsp. almond butter
1 tbsp. linseed oil
1 tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
 
Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with a spoon.
 
Almonds are rich in monounsaturated fats, associated with the reduction of heart disease and lower cholesterol levels.


Yields 2 portions

This recipe diluted with a bit of water also makes a great salad dressing.

These recipes were taken from Kate Wood's RAW cookbook.   Photos are my own.
 
 
Have a great week-end!
Amelie

No comments:

Post a Comment