Top food blogs

Monday, April 29, 2013

Green Smoothie with Celery


I know people are getting more and more curious about green smoothies, so I figured I would give you another one of my recipes.  I usually prefer my smoothies to taste sweeter, so when I try recipes that use lemon, ginger and more "advanced" ingredients I find myself having a real hard time enjoying them.  The following recipe was an exception. I really enjoyed it, although I wouldn't recommend starting your new green smoothie morning routine with this recipe, as the strong celery taste somewhat overpowers the other fruits.  When making smoothies, you should aim to get as close as you can to the 60/40 ratio (60% fruit, 40% leafy greens).  Why? Simply so the sweetness of the fruits will dominate and the leafy greens' somewhat bitter taste will tone down the sweetness of the fruit.  It is also recommended to vary the greens you use in order to get a variety of nutrients.  Great leafy greens would include beet greens, chard, spinach, kale and dandelion greens. 
 
What about celery?  We've all been taught that the more vibrant the color of  a vegetable, the better it is for you.  As true as this can be, it doesn't mean that paler vegetables like celery are empty of important nutrients.  Here are some of the health benefits of celery:
  
  • It is considered to be a superfood for people with high blood pressure mostly because of its high potassium level that helps regulate it. 
  • It contains coumarin compounds that are effective in cancer prevention and have the capability of enhancing the activity of certain white blood cells.
 
Green Smoothie with Celery 


 

Yields 1 serving
 
Ingredients
 
1 cup water
1 banana or avocado (this serves as an emulsifier)
1 pear
1 orange
1 celery stalk
1 cup baby spinach
3 ice cubes
 
Method
 
Place all ingredients in blender and mix until you get a smooth texture.
 
 
Have a great day!
Amelie
 
 Source:
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment