Top food blogs

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Superfood of the day : Red Cabbage

When adopting a whole food plant-based diet, it is very important to eat a good variety of foods in order to get all the nutrients needed to be healthy.  It also helps prevent what I call "food boredom", which can quickly lead you to get off the bandwagon!  So I have recently been experimenting with red cabbage.  It is on my list of superfoods for being loaded with antioxidants and for being rich in Vitamins C, A and K.  One cup of red cabbage provides you with 85% of your daily vitamin C requirements and 20% of your vitamins A and K  requirements.   I love its vibrant color and its subtle sour taste that mixes well with sweeter ingredients.  I recently tried a Christmas cabbage salad which was ok, but my husband and I did not feel the need to add it to our list of great recipes. 
 
So when I was looking online to find recipes to use up the rest of my cabbage last week-end, I came by this wonderful Red Cabbage Soup on Ehow.  It looked great and used ingredients I already had on hand. 
 
 
 
 
 
 Ingredients:
 
2 tbsp. butter (which I substituted with Coconut Oil)
1 large onion finely chopped
1 red apple coarsely chopped
1 green pepper diced
1 head of red cabbage shredded
2 red tomatoes diced
4 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp. soy sauce (I used gluten-free Tamari sauce)
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
 
Method:
 
  1. Melt oil in a large saucer.  Add the onion and cook until caramelized.
  2. Add apple and green pepper and cook until tender (approximately 4-5 minutes).
  3. Add the red cabbage and cook until caramelized (another 5-7 minutes)
  4. Add tomatoes and cook for an extra 3-4 minutes
  5. In a mixing bowl combine the vegetable broth, tamari sauce, tomato paste, salt and pepper.  Add to the saucer and cook on high heat for 20 minutes.
  6. Remove from the stove and let cool for 10 minutes.
  7. Pour into a food processer of high power blender and puree until you get a even smooth texture.  Serve and season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
Yields 8 cups
 
Have a great day!
Amelie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment